Custody Applications

Custody is the right of a parent to exercise physical care and control in respect of the upbringing of his or her child on a day-to-day basis. The married parents of a child are automatically joint guardians and custodians of their child.

In the case of a child born to an unmarried mother the mother is automatically the child’s guardian and sole custodian. However if a father of the child wants to acquire custodial status, they can apply under the Guardianship of Infants Act, 1964.

Rights of married persons – post separation
By law, an unmarried mother is the sole guardian of a child born outside of marriage. Unless the mother agrees to sign a statutory declaration, an unmarried father must apply to the court in order to become a legal guardian of his child. A father does not have to have guardianship before he applies for access or custody.

Healy O’Connor Solicitors can provide advice in relation to a right of access to the unmarried parents (mother/father) and can provide legal representation at both the District Court and the Circuit Court.


We would be happy to talk to you. Drop us an email and we will get back to you right away.

We are now free to chat right now.

Click ENTER to chat